Saturday 13 October 2012

20 IRELAND - The Quiet, The Green, The Clean Empty Waves


Tuesday, 4th September, 2012

Brandon Bay, Kerry




What a difference a day makes. The swell’s picked up and the wind is better. The sun is shining too.

I’ve been looking at the waves all morning wondering if it will get better than the 2’ showing. I’m just going to have to go in because soon the tide will be on the push and it’ll probably be the reverse of what I have been looking at.

As I walked out over the shallow spit of sand I felt apprehensive. The water was cold and clear; a flatfish scuttled off as my feet slid over the sand. As I got deeper dark brown flecks began to appear and my thoughts switched to the spiny urchins of Lagide. Confident that it was just seaweed and rocks I kept shuffling out over the breaking waves.

 Eventually I had paddled out to the back and sat waiting for a left hander to peel over the sand bar. Nerves made my stomach tingle. I was sat quite far out to sea on my own in a new and exotic place. Conscious of rips and the wind I kept my bearings and took stock. I knew I was safe because I was in a beach break but thoughts of Orcas and watching the boil-ups reinforced my apprehension.

My nerves soon ebbed as I got to ride a few waves. 2 to 3 foot left-handers peeled along and my Irish fantasy began to be fulfilled.

The surf was far from classic but for today it was perfect.









Bibliography

C Cotton, 2007 The Photograph As Contemporary Art Thames & Hudson: London
De Botton, 2003 The Art of Travel Penguin: London
E Newby, 1995 A Book of Travellers’ Tales Pan Books Ltd: London
Sontag, 2002 On Photography Penguin Group: London
Tolstoy L, 1969 What Is Art? And Essays on Art London: University Press Oxford



 Copyright Mark King 2012
















No comments:

Post a Comment