Thursday 23 August 2012

6 IRELAND - The Quiet, The Green, The Clean Empty Waves


Tuesday, 31st July, 2012

On Anticipation

 As de Botton states often the reality of travel is not what we anticipated.

What am I anticipating; rain, clean waves, empty line-ups? I guess all of those things and more. Mostly I’m anticipating big waves, waves that will push me and probably waves that will keep me from getting wet.

When surfing on your own in a strange and unfamiliar environment your biggest hurdle can often be yourself. With someone to share the experience your confidence can be raised. Paddling out with someone who is better than you can also help strengthen your desire to ride bigger and better waves as paddling out to Dracula’s in Morocco with Ch proved. Although it scared the hell out of me and after a few heavy nailings I clambered back over the sharp jagged rocks happy to be back on terra firma. 


 M King "Dracula’s, Morocco" January 2007

If we believe the pessimism of Huymann’s des Esseintes then reality will always be disappointing. So to take a tip from be Botton expect reality to be different rather than disappointing. I do expect rain though.

My idea of Ireland has principally been formed from pictures in surf mags, the film’s Litmus and The Far Shore and Cotty’s recent escapades in Mullaghmore, County Sligo. I have also read that the Irish are an open and friendly folk always up for the craic.

Such a notion contradicts the Greek geographer, historian and philosopher Strabo’s (b.c 63 BC, d. after AD 21) belief that Ireland’s “inhabitants are more savage than the Britons, since they are man-eaters as well as heavy eaters, and since, further, they count it an honourable thing, when their fathers die, to devour them, and openly to have intercourse, not only with the other woman, but also with their mothers and sisters………” (1986. Newby. P. 196)

Before experiencing Ireland I have been reflecting on my photography thinking; what is the point, why am I doing this, who is it for? All these questions relate to the overriding question I am continuing ask myself – what is art? I know I need a reason to do it other than for its own sake but it does need a purpose, a reason why. Or does it?

I know I do not want to produce a travel book because they are often idealised and romanticised just as much as art can be selected (mis)representation. Everything I work against.

Be honest.

As de Botton illustrates in his journey through the afternoon, the travel book can be a deceptive beast. Every second of existence is an experience, unique to every individual and I don’t want to over subscribe to explanation and in depth detail as Tolstoy expressed in his book “What Is Art?

So what am I hoping to convey? Why take pictures? Why make pictures?

The surf breaks to me are a kind of pilgrimage much like the ones I discovered on my travels through Europe and into Morocco. The surf guide, much like the original travel guides highlights much of what is in and around a break for the travelling pilgrim. When it is best to surf, what to be aware of, what entertainment is available.

In anticipation we simplify and we select, much the way as memory recalls the past. Being in Ireland is unique to me, unique to Caroline and even unique to Henry (my dog) but between the 3 of us we will hold shared experiences which through simplification and selection will help form our memories. I’m not sure about Henry but for me and Caroline this is true.

So why make pictures?

Pictures are more than holiday snaps for me or are they? Are they not technically and compositionally just good holiday snaps? Education has enabled me to construct more intelligent imagery but what am I to say?

I know what I want people to take away from my photographs but will I succeed?

Whatever I bring back in terms of photographs, memories or souvenirs, this trip is my pilgrimage to the Emerald Isle.

A pilgrimage? What is a pilgrimage? Is it a pilgrimage or is that my studies and preferred reading constructing meaning and reason?

The journey it would seem is more about the “I”, the conscious part of my self. Whatever the I focuses on appears to lead the self. I could feel tired and bored, as I did briefly earlier but then I used the time to read, to write, to think. I also feel bloated and uncomfortable after lunch which if felt in other circumstances other than work could spoil a perfectly delightful occasion such as tea with the Queen.

In Huysmann’s words, Des Esseintes believed “the imagination could provide a more-than-adequate substitute for the vulgar reality of actual experience”. (2003. de Botton. P. 27) Similarly de botton states that actual experience “where what we have come to see is always diluted in what we could see anywhere, where we are drawn away from the present by an anxious future and where our appreciation of aesthetic elements remains at the mercy of perplexing physical and psychological demands”. (2003. de Botton. P.27) Whilst much of this may be true I still look forward to visiting Ireland and enjoying the craic.

One of my over-riding feelings in regards to travelling is one of ambivalence and it is this I feel I must overcome. Caroline is a positive step forward in that her enthusiasm carries me with it.

 Bibliography

C Cotton, 2007 The Photograph As Contemporary Art Thames & Hudson: London
De Botton, 2003 The Art of Travel Penguin:London
E Newby, 1995 A Book of Travellers’ Tales Pan Books Ltd: London
Tolstoy L, 1969 What Is Art? And Essays on Art London: University Press Oxford

Copyright Mark King 2012












 

No comments:

Post a Comment